Thursday, March 19, 2009

Congratulations Quijote and Ardrilla!

They were married last Saturday in Juarez, surrounded by friends and family. God bless you both in your new life together!

It was interesting to visit the El Paso/Juarez area, primarily because I had never been south of the border. Seeing the mountains that Cormac McCarthy imagined to be on fire when he got the idea to write The Road was pretty sweet... especially since it was followed by a discussion of The Road with Quijote and the dirty hippie.

The food was great, the hospitality was warm, the wedding was lovely, though I had to have Fernando explain some of the traditions to me. Such as the lasso. That was a new one to me, but was apparently a tradition older than using wedding rings. Basically, they had the couple kneel and they lashed them together with a lasso. When I first heard about it, I was hoping some cowboy would burst into the church and toss a lasso around both of them from the aisle while they struggled to get away, but that didn't happen.

Also, I loved the fact that they said each other's vows to one another in the native language of the other person. Behold, the foundations of a bilingual household.

Now, there is the subject of the reception. It was insane. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Three words: Surprise Mariachi Band. I think that pretty much sums it up.

In all, I wish both of you the best.

Now, Quijote, you just need to convince her to let you have a Corgi, and you'll be all set. Just remember the mantra: Cutest. Dog. EVER. ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Arely said...

Thank you, Raoul. Did you get to meet the other Destroyer in the family? His name is Davidito. He brought the cushions to us when Dad, acting as a minister, asked for them. He threw them at me in a rush and said "Ten" ("Here!"), then turned around and ran to his parents. I thought it was hilarious.
You gave a beautiful toast, by the way. Did not expect anything less from someone so great with words. Thank you.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Arely said...

Hi.. how goes it over there?

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home